You are probably reading this because your boyfriend just broke up with you and you’re looking to:
a) Find sad love songs so you can cry into your ice cream, OR,
) Find empowering break up songs to lift your spirits and show that guy you deserve way better than him anyway.
If you answered (b) then this is the list for you. When I get dumped I want something – anything – to make me feel better. Whenever I feel like my broken heart will never heal, music always seems to help. So for you ladies who can’t stop thinking about your ex and need a little emotional release, here are my top 10 greatest break up songs for girls.
Turn up the speakers, grab your hai
ush (to use as a microphone of course!) and let the healing begin…
10. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor: This is the classic “I don’t need you anymore,” female power ballad. This song has survived so long because it gets to the heart of what we women want to feel after a break-up. You don’t want to get your ex back – you want to kick him to the curb!
9. I Don’t Need a Man by the P***Cat Dolls: Stop the crying, lift your head up, and realize that you are strong on your own. Nobody really needs a man to make them happy.
8. Stronger by Britney Spears: Whether you like her or not, Britney knows about bad relationships. This song has a good message about pulling through and coming out of a break up even stronger than before.
7. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette: This angst-ridden song is rumored to be about Alanis’ own break-up with Dave Coulier (of “Full House” fame). Whatever the inspiration, if you’re still feeling bitter about your ex-boyfriend then this is the song for you.
6. Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson: When you just want to move on and the relationship wasn’t that great to begin with, crank up this Kelly Clarkson hit.
5. Rolling in The Deep by Adele: So many reasons to love this song - soulful singing, a great beat and touching lyrics. It touches on a longing for a lost love without being too sappy or sad.
4. Fighter by Christina Aguilera: Christina is one of my favorite strong woman singers. Sure, she started out singing fluffy pop numbers (aka “Genie in a Bottle”) but she has really come into her own. This song beautifully shows how even the hard times, like a bad break-up, can make you a better person. Dealing with ex boyfriends is never fun, but you can use this hard time as a learning experience.
3. Survivor by Destiny’s Child: When I want to belt out a song, I turn to Destiny’s Child. Three strong women showing you that you don’t need a man to be happy.
2. Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood: Getting dumped is awful. But getting dumped and cheated on is the absolute worst. In this break up song, Carrie Underwood says what every woman who has even been cheated on is thinking. “Don’t mess with me or I’ll bash in your car.”
1. So What by Pink: Out of the top greatest break up songs for girls, my pick for number one is this super rocker empowering song by Pink. Written after a break-up with her husband, this song is the epitome of what every girl who has gotten broken up with wants to feel. For those of you still holding out hope to get your ex back, Pink actually did get back together with her hubby after this song was written.
So put down the ice cream, start singing along and let these great break up songs for girls lift your spirits. It will get better – I promise.