Death is something people dont want to think about. This just makes the person feel so bad inside and make one think if this could be have been prevented.
The truth is death is another phase in life. By learning how to cope with this when it happens in the family, the individual will be able to express the same amount of sympathy and concern when this happens to a loved one or a friend.
Here are some tips of showing concern when this happens to others.
1. Upon learning of the loss, the friend should go to the wake and pay some respects. Saying a few words of comfort are the best way to console anyone in that situation.
2. If the individual is a businessman and the deceased was a regular client, perhaps sending flowers will be the best way to thank the person for the patronage in the past. This can also be done to an employee for the years served in making the company grow.
3. The friend may not be able to give much to the grieving family. Those in the office can put up a collection and give this instead. It doesnt matter how much it is but just the thought is what counts the most.
4. Some people are not able to say the right things during this time of grief. Should this happen, perhaps it will be a good idea to wait a month before putting something down in paper in the form of a letter or card as a way of showing respect for what has happened.
5. Mourning takes a long time. When the grieved is ready, perhaps it is time to go out and have some fun. This doesnt mean watching a movie or going to the amusement park. The friend should just do whatever the other one wants.
6. It is wrong to tell the other I know what you are feeling, especially if the friend has never been in that situation before. Instead, it will be better to say Im here if you want someone to talk to.
7. In time, healing can begin by talking about the loss. What caused it and the things that were done to stop this especially if this was a fatal disease. This should go on to better things such as at last the pain is over and he or she is in a better place.
It will be better to remember the good times shared and what made the individual stand out over others.
8. Life goes on after the deceased has been buried. Since the friend has other obligations such as work and other duties for the family, it wouldnt hurt to give the grieved a call to check up on things or a visit every so often.
The individual will surely appreciate this more than anything since other people will just be there during the wake and the funeral and that is just about it.
9. The death of a friend is a shock and painful to those who are present. The person can step up and say a few kind words during the eulogy as a reminder of how important this man or woman was in the life of the individual.
10. Funerals are costly. Writing a check to cover certain expenses is another way to show sympathy for the family who experienced a loss. If the money wont be accepted, perhaps giving this away to a charity in honor of the deceased will be more appropriate.
11. Another nice thing to do will be to hold a service for the deceased. A call should be placed to the parish priest so the name of that individual will be mentioned together with others who have done the same.
There are other ways to show sympathy for someone who has suffered a loss. The religion of the person is important to avoid making any mistakes. It is never easy for anyone to go through a tragic death.
The smallest gesture is more than enough in this time of grief. By putting things aside and spending time with those in that situation, this will really show if one is a true companion or not.