In the State of Ohio, one of the cities with the highest crime rate is Cincinnati. Garage door openers are a good safety measure if you live in the city of Cincinnati. Garage door replacement should be considered if you do not already have an opener. This device allows you to open your garage door from inside your car; helping you avoid the extreme cold or heat of the different seasons, as well as exposing yourself to an intruder.
Openers can be found at reasonable prices. They are classified according to their drive system into chain drive systems, screw drive systems, belt drive systems, and wall mount drive system. Here are more details on how they operate and what benefits you can hope to find in each one:
- Chain Drive Systems – Chains are moved along a rail to open the door. They are the cheapest and most common of the four systems. They are also the noisiest.
- Screw Drive Systems – Screws are moved along a threaded steel rod to open the door. They have the fewest moving parts and are not as noisy as a chain drive.
- Belt Drive Systems – A belt is moved along a rail to open the door. They offer years of service and are quieter than the previous two systems.
- Wall Mount Drive System – This system is mounted on the wall and has springs, pulleys and drums working together to open the door. It is the quietest and quickest of all four systems.
Other features to take into consideration when purchasing an opener are motors, remotes and safety features.
- Motors - A large motor will have more strength to open the door, but will generate more noise. A vibration dampener can be used to reduce the sound made the motor.
- Remotes – They come with 1 to 3 buttons and use rolling codes that change the number after every use. They also come in different sizes and you even have option of using a keyless entry keypad.
- Safety Features – Garage doors should be installed as a safety mechanism. They detect if an object is obstructing the path of the door and prevent it from closing if that is the case. This could prevent injuries in children and pets.
The doors should also automatically lock once they are closed.
Some of the benefits listed are fairly recent and if your opener is prior to 1993 you will want to replace it to enjoy them. Make a list of all the features you want and name your price range. Some of them might not be much of a challenge for a rugged do-it-yourselfer, but for optimal results have a professional do the installation. Shop around and ask for referrals to get the best service possible.
In this day and age safety is one of our main concerns and, in many ways, our driveways are the entry way into our homes and we want to keep those as protected as possible. Do not take your security for granted.